Andrew and I decided that with Abigail's tumor, graduation, the bar exam, job hunting, and moving, we didn't have enough going on this summer, so we decided to throw a new baby into the mix!
We tried a creative way to tell the girls, but it sort of backfired... I printed a baby picture of each of us including an ultrasound picture (one of Cora's since I hadn't had one for this baby yet) for the new baby, rolled them up, and put them in balloons. The girls took turns popping the balloons and trying to guess which baby it was. It wasn't easy for anyone (except me who made sure I knew who was who beforehand...). I saved the ultrasound picture for last, but by that time, Eve and Halle were being fussy (arguing over who got to pop which balloon) and none of them knew what that weird black and white picture meant. Oh well. Andrew had to give them hints ("This baby isn't born yet.", "It's still in someone's tummy.", etc) before the girls finally guessed, "Aunt Kelly's baby!" Eve finally caught on and explained to the others what was happening.
We videoed the experience but came up short on good pictures. I took this one after the fact.
The three younger girls got to go to an appointment with me. Cora threw up everywhere in the waiting room, hence why she is shirtless.
I finally had my first ultrasound at almost 15 weeks and the lady asked if I wanted to know the gender if she could tell. I said yes!
We told the girls via a gender reveal volcano and it was hilarious! They all got excited when it shot out, but instantly Eve and Halle got super grumpy when they realized what blue meant. In the video, they're both upset, with Halle saying, "I wanted it to be a girl!" and Abigail shouting excitedly, "Do it again!"
They perked up slightly at the chance to each pour some vinegar to make the volcano go.
The idea of a baby boy in our family will take some getting used to!
(But I'm happy to report that now, a month later, we're all warming up to the idea.)
Still my favorite picture ever.
ReplyDelete