Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Fifths x5

We had our first (and hopefully last!) outbreak of Fifths disease this spring.  I'd never even heard of it, but suddenly all the girls started having these super red, rosy cheeks and I couldn't figure out what it was!  Turns out, it was Fifths....

I didn't take a picture of Halle with it, apparently, but they all got a turn, except Seth, and Abigail had it twice, getting us to the lucky number 5. 


The pictures don't do it justice. It was so pronounced!



A couple of weeks later, Abigail got these red patches all over her body. It started on her arms, then moved down to her legs. 



The doctor thought it might be a strange manifestation of Fifths after ruling out allergies, so we got to go do blood work to verify. 


We went to BSA this time (we don't like Northwest hospital!) and they did a great job with her. The woman drawing her blood made Abigail a deal: if her blood came out green, then the woman got her snack, but if it was red (Abigail's guess), then Abigail got the snack. She still screamed when they poked her, but she quickly recovered and was thrilled to be right and get the snack! She talks about that every time she gets blood drawn now. (I think it's happened 2 or 3 times since then.)

Making a wish when we were done! Every time, she wishes for ballet slippers (thank you Greatest Showman). We'll see if we can't make that happen for her birthday.


We decided to celebrate with happy meals for doing a great job!  And she wanted to make sure Cora got one too.


I'd say let's be weird medical stuff-free for a while, but I think we all know that's not likely...

No comments:

Post a Comment