Thursday, January 21, 2021

Hoot

The kids were playing outside one morning and came running in to tell me they'd found a bird that was super nice and would let them pet it. Needless to say, I had to check it out. 

Sure enough, there it was, just sitting in the grass. 


Cora instantly named it "Hoot" (one of Seth's favorite books; yes, it's about an owl....). 


I figured it's wing or something was broken, but could see no visible problems. It just sat there as they continued to "pet" it. I told them to stop because they were undoubtedly freaking it out. Then I tried to think of what we could do. We have several cats that prowl through our yard and I wasn't too keen on the idea of the kids watching Hoot get eaten. But what do you do with a bird that won't fly????

Answer: let Seth grab it. I tried to stop him, but wasn't fast enough and he reached out and grabbed the bird. That was all it took. Hoot took off and flew to the backyard light. He perched there for a while and we kept checking on him.  


I have no idea why he sat in the grass and let the girls touch him when he really could fly but was very relieved when he flew! We watched him sit there for a while and then he left. All's well that ends well? 

No comments:

Post a Comment